Thank you for your interest in helping Fair Trade USA through cause marketing.
You probably know that Fair Trade USA is the leading third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States and we use a market-based approach that gives farmers fair prices, workers safe conditions, and entire communities resources for fair, healthy and sustainable lives.
The bottom line is that with your help, we provide farmers in developing nations the tools to thrive as international business people and enable consumers to make a difference with their dollar.
How Can You Help?
Cause marketing ties the cooperative efforts of a “for profit” business and a nonprofit organization for mutual benefit. By collaborating with Fair Trade USA, you can differentiate your product or brand and make it even more relevant because consumers across all demographic groups know and trust Fair Trade USA.
Cause Marketing with Fair Trade USA: Getting Started
- Please review our Cause Marketing Guidelines below to determine if your campaign is a good fit for your company and Fair Trade USA.
- If you accept Fair Trade USA’s guidelines, please complete the short questionnaire on the application  and e-mail it to Laurie Koran, Development Assistant email@example.com . Following review of the questionnaire, a Fair Trade USA representative will contact you within two business days.
- Please also review the SAMPLE agreement below for your reference.
- Business submits questionnaire .
- Fair Trade USA Resource Development Representative reviews questionnaire.
- Fair Trade USA Resource Development Representative contacts business to confirm details.
- Upon approval, Fair Trade USA generates agreement.
- Business returns a signed copy of cause marketing agreement.
- Business submits promotional material to Fair Trade USA for copy review and approval.
- Fair Trade USA issues written approval to proceed with campaign elements.
PLEASE NOTE: A signed Cause Marketing Agreement with Fair Trade USA must be on file and you must have written approval to use Fair Trade USA’s name, logo, tagline and/or program logos ("Marks").
While Fair Trade USA appreciates all offers of support and the opportunity to participate in a variety of cause-marketing campaigns, it has taken the position that it will refrain from any partnerships related to promoting or encouraging the sale of tobacco or tobacco and related products; and alcohol or alcohol related products. If said company wants to donate proceeds or a portion of proceeds, we ask that our logo, name or other ‘marks’ not be used. The company may simply refer to proceeds being donated to a ‘local certification nonprofit.’
Cause Marketing Guidelines
- All businesses engaging in a Cause Related Marketing Campaign with Fair Trade USA must sign an agreement that clarifies the campaign, goal and action items.
- All Cause Related Marketing Campaign partners are expected to generate publicity for the campaign through purchased or in-kind media and/or any social media outlets available to them, including company website, e-newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- To support your efforts while balancing our own limited staff resources, Fair Trade USA is able to provide varying levels of assistance based on the level of campaign benefit.
Donation of $1,000 – 4,999 in one calendar year
- Use of Fair Trade USA logo (ALL uses of the name or logo must be approved before printing or public use)
- Fair Trade USA confirmation letter to support your efforts
- Listing/link on the cause marketing page of Fair Trade USA’s website
- Fair Trade USA Development representative to speak at an event associated with promotion
Donation of $5,000 or more in one calendar year: Items above, plus:
- Social media posts by Fair Trade USA (number/frequency determined by campaign timing, if applicable.)
- Support with joint press release, provided that promotion(s) fall within a mutually agreed media window
- One featured article on Fair Trade USA’s Fundraising monthly e-newsletter
- Featured Cause Marketing Donor Profile on Fair Trade USA’s fundraising pages
- Framed Certificate commemorating your company's fundraising achievement and support.
Using the Fair Trade USA Name and Logo: All rights, title and interest in its marks shall at all times remain with Fair Trade USA. Fair Trade USA reserves the right to approve, in advance, the use of any artwork associated with the promotion. All media and marketing materials must be approved by Fair Trade USA.
Donor Privacy: Fair Trade USA respects the privacy of its donors. For all cause-marketing programs, we cannot share our mailing list or send mail to constituents on behalf of third parties. Fair Trade USA encourages other means of promotion with appropriate use of the Fair Trade USA’s name and/or logo according to the levels above.