Renowned chef Malika Ameen and celebrity dietician Ashley Koff R.D. share a desert recipe that is full of Fair Trade Certified ingredients This recipe will be featured in an upcoming live USTREAM  broadcast on October 19 at 1pm PT/4pm ET. Click here  for more info on the event!
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE WITH VANILLA CARDAMOM SWIRL
Yield: one 9 inch cake
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2/3 cup Fair Trade Certified natural cane sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 ½ tablespoons Fair Trade Certified ground coffee
7 ounces Fair Trade Certified dark chocolate
3.5 ounces Fair Trade Certified milk chocolate
5 ounces unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1/3 cup Fair Trade Certified light brown sugar lightly packed
1 teaspoon Fair Trade Certified organic vanilla extract
generous pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Grease a 9x2 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper
Make the vanilla batter:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat cream cheese on medium speed with sugar. Mix until well combined. Add egg, cardamom, and orange zest. Mix again and set aside
Make the chocolate batter:
- Combine boiled water and coffee in a small bowl and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid.
- In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and butter over a pan of simmering water and set aside to cool slightly.
- Using a stand mixer with a whip attachment beat the eggs, sugar, reserved coffee liquid , vanilla extract and salt on high until pale and fluffy – this should take about 4 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add chocolate mixture beating until blended. You may have to remove the bowl from the mixer and mix the remaining streaks of chocolate by hand to fully incorporate.
- Spread half of the chocolate batter into the cake pan.
- Next add half of the vanilla cardamom mixture in large spoonfuls.
- Next add the chocolate batter and then again spoonfuls of the remaining vanilla batter.
- With your spatula or the tip of a knife gently swirl the two batters together so they are mixed but do not completely blend them (you should have a very pretty swirled pattern of chocolate and vanilla). Tap the cake pan a few times on the counter to help settle and combine the batters.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until outside of the pan is set and the middle still has a slight jiggle being careful not to overbake.
- Let the cake stand at room temperature for 1 hour, loosen it from the pan with a knife and invert onto a plate. Peel off the parchment paper and invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- Slice and serve with Fair Trade ice cream
Love cooking with Fair Trade ingrediants? Check out last weeks Fair Trade recipe, Spiced Nut and Oat Crunch, here .