- 2 large eggplants
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or canola oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated or chopped ginger
- 1 tsp ground Organic Fair Trade turmeric 
- 1 to 2 tsp Organic Fair Trade cayenne powder 
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp Fragrant Garam Masala 
Dice the eggplant and tomatoes. Heat ghee or oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and ginger on medium heat until they are soft and the onion starts to brown. Add the turmeric powder, cayenne salt and fragrant garam masala and stir thoroughly. Add the eggplant and tomatoes, stir really well and cover. Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally until all the liquid evaporates and the combination of the eggplant and tomato forms into a thick purée.
Served hot or cold, Brinjal Batha is ideal as a dip for naans and pita bread.
Tip: Grill the eggplant over charcoal to impart a smokey flavor.
*This recipe was submitted by The Spicy Gourmet